Apple OneScanner press release
KP2 KP2
2023-12-04 02:03:00 UTC
MOVED OVER PR NEWSWIRE AT 9:13 AM, EDT, MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 1991.
Ylonda Davis
Apple Computer, Inc.
(408) 974-5193
Apple Combines Macintosh Simplicity and Professional Quality in New
One Button Scanner
Apple OneScanner Unveiled at Seybold Computer Publishing Conference
SAN JOSE, California--September 30, 1991--Apple Computer, Inc. today
introduced the Apple OneScanner with revolutionary "one-button"
scanning technology that combines the hallmark Macintosh computer
ease-of-use with professional quality results. The OneScanner
enables novice to advanced users to create documents with more impact
by easily and quickly incorporating high-quality photographs and
artwork into everyday documents.
"The Apple OneScanner gives customers the high image quality they
demand, as well as the simplicity Macintosh users expect," said John
Moon, Apple's vice president of Imaging Products. "Its intuitive
one-button control and powerful capabilities allow customers to
create better-looking documents easier and faster. The OneScanner
incorporates many advanced new features that, along with the
LaserWriter IIg and IIf printers, will open the world of imaging and
graphics to more users than ever before."
The Apple OneScanner has the same award winning external hardware
design as the previous Apple Scanner, but is internally redesigned to
scan images up to 60% faster. In addition, it now scans images in up
to 8 bits or 256 levels of gray (photographic quality). The
OneScanner also includes two scanning options: Ofoto and HyperScan
2.0.
Ofoto is a breakthrough scanning application developed in conjunction
with Light Source, Inc. of Greenbrae, California. Ofoto is the first
one-step scanning software for both novice and professional users and
offers many unique benefits. If desired, users can use the one-
button Autoscan feature to automatically control all aspects of the
scanning process from setting brightness and contrast to
straightening and cropping images to adjusting images for the printer
or output device being used. However, if more experienced users want
to explore special effects and other individual variations with their
scanned images, they have the option of manually controlling all
aspects of scanning. The Autoscan process removes the complexities of
scanning while ensuring high quality images. It frees users from the
frustrations experienced with many other scanning applications and
allows them to concentrate on the final results of their documents.
"When we designed Ofoto for the Apple OneScanner, our objective was
to have it automatically make a scanned photograph look like the
original--freeing the user to concentrate on expressing an idea with
words and pictures," said Michael Solomon, president of Light Source,
Inc. "Ofoto achieves this level of simplicity, and still provides
the quality results and sophistication required by experts."
"We believe that the combination of Apple hardware technology and the
Ofoto intelligent image processing software will open up the world of
scanned images to broad new classes of users," said Jonathan Seybold,
publisher and computer analyst.
Ofoto also incorporates a new technology called Adaptive Calibration
which ensures the highest possible quality for scanned documents
delivered to any printer or output device. This process adjusts the
scanned image through the computer to provide optimal results whether
using a low-cost-ink jet printer, mid-range laser printer, or high-
end offset press. In addition, high quality rotation and scaling
routines also contribute significantly to the quality of documents.
The scanned image looks like the original without significant changes
in contrast and brightness and minimizes loss of detail.
Also included with the OneScanner is HyperScan 2.0, an improved
version of the original HyperScan application that takes advantage of
the capabilities of OneScanner and HyperCard 2.0. HyperScan 2.0
allows users to scan images directly into HyperCard stacks. Its
improvements focus on two major areas: the use of palettes to
simplify the user interface, and the ability to scan various size
areas.
Apple believes that the OneScanner system's ease of use, professional
quality and affordability will appeal to a broad range of Macintosh
users--educators and students, small businesses, corporate users, and
the publishing community--anybody who wants to create documents with
more impact in order to communicate better.
Pricing and Availability
The Apple OneScanner has a U.S. suggested retail price of $1,299 and
is available immediately through authorized Apple resellers.
Customers who own the original Apple Scanner will be able to upgrade
to the new software for a suggested retail price of $195 through
Light Source by calling 1-800-231-SCAN from the U.S. and Canada; or
by calling 415-461-8000 from most other countries. In Europe,
software upgrade information can be obtained through authorized Apple
resellers.
-30-
Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, and LaserWriter are registered
trademarks; HyperScan and OneScanner are trademarks of Apple
Computer, Inc. HyperCard is a registered trademark of Claris
Corporation. Ofoto is trademark of Light Source, Inc.
END
Apple News Releases
PR Express
News Breaks
9/30/91
Chris Schram
2023-12-04 12:00:17 UTC
MOVED OVER PR NEWSWIRE AT 9:13 AM, EDT, MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 1991.
Ylonda Davis
Apple Computer, Inc.
(408) 974-5193
Apple Combines Macintosh Simplicity and Professional Quality in New
One Button Scanner
Apple OneScanner Unveiled at Seybold Computer Publishing Conference
SAN JOSE, California--September 30, 1991--Apple Computer, Inc. today
[rest of press release trimmed]

I was kind of hoping a followup to a 32+ year old press release would
have had some content, something like...

"Yeah, I had one of those back in the day. it was sooo kewl."

or...

"I think I've got one of those up in the attic somewhere. Bet it's
incompatible with everything nowadays."

or...

"I wonder what a collector would pay for one of those. I've got two."

But the followup was completely blank, save for a single letter f. No
wonder Groupers are considered to be one of the less intelligent species
of Sea Bass.
--
ATTN Google Groups users: I filter out your posts and will not see them.
***@me.com is an infrequently monitored address. Email may get lost.