Sal Soghoian gone
Calum
2016-11-18 00:16:44 UTC
He might not have been the highest profile Apple employee, but Sal
Soghoian, who's been in charge of AppleScript and automation
technologies at Apple for the past 20 years, has had his position
eliminated.

<http://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/11/16/sal-soghoian>

Another pro user feature at risk...?
Jim_Higgins
2016-11-18 01:18:48 UTC
Post by Calum
He might not have been the highest profile Apple employee, but Sal
Soghoian, who's been in charge of AppleScript and automation
technologies at Apple for the past 20 years, has had his position
eliminated.
<http://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/11/16/sal-soghoian>
Another pro user feature at risk...?
More of the Tim Cook and his "just another computer company" style
verses the Steve Jobs innovation era.
The choices we make reveal the true nature of our character
Nelson
2016-11-18 10:00:36 UTC
Post by Calum
He might not have been the highest profile Apple employee, but Sal
Soghoian, who's been in charge of AppleScript and automation
technologies at Apple for the past 20 years, has had his position
eliminated.
<http://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/11/16/sal-soghoian>
Another pro user feature at risk...?
This is really disappointing to me. User automation capability is one
of the key reasons I have stuck with the Mac. Cook is worse than
Sculley.
Nelson
android
2016-11-18 10:58:13 UTC
Post by Nelson
Post by Calum
He might not have been the highest profile Apple employee, but Sal
Soghoian, who's been in charge of AppleScript and automation
technologies at Apple for the past 20 years, has had his position
eliminated.
<http://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/11/16/sal-soghoian>
Another pro user feature at risk...?
This is really disappointing to me. User automation capability is one
of the key reasons I have stuck with the Mac. Cook is worse than
Sculley.
Could we expect that the dev tools and Terminal to be next on the hit
list? I mean: Shouldn't "they" have to charge good for stuff like that
like they did 20 years ago?
teleportation kills
Jolly Roger
2016-11-18 18:05:49 UTC
Post by Nelson
Post by Calum
He might not have been the highest profile Apple employee, but Sal
Soghoian, who's been in charge of AppleScript and automation
technologies at Apple for the past 20 years, has had his position
eliminated.
<http://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/11/16/sal-soghoian>
Another pro user feature at risk...?
This is really disappointing to me. User automation capability is one
of the key reasons I have stuck with the Mac.
That automaton capability is still in macOS at the moment. We'll have to
see what the future holds.
Post by Nelson
Cook is worse than Sculley.
Hyperbole from an outsider. Steve Jobs hand picked him and had much more
faith in his abilities than you.

JR
Jolly Roger
2016-11-18 18:03:54 UTC
Post by Calum
He might not have been the highest profile Apple employee, but Sal
Soghoian, who's been in charge of AppleScript and automation
technologies at Apple for the past 20 years, has had his position
eliminated.
<http://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/11/16/sal-soghoian>
Another pro user feature at risk...?
It's somewhat concerning. AppleScript in particular has been a somewhat
half-ass endeavor for many years, despite its great usefulness. Then
again, as usual, we don't know the whole story, and there are, as of
yet, no solid indications that the actual functionality will go away.
We'll just have to wait and see what happens. macOS without AppleScript
/ Automator support will be a hard sell for Apple to those of us who use
them.

JR
Jolly Roger
2016-11-18 20:43:30 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Calum
He might not have been the highest profile Apple employee, but Sal
Soghoian, who's been in charge of AppleScript and automation
technologies at Apple for the past 20 years, has had his position
eliminated.
<http://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/11/16/sal-soghoian>
Another pro user feature at risk...?
It's somewhat concerning. AppleScript in particular has been a somewhat
half-ass endeavor for many years, despite its great usefulness. Then
again, as usual, we don't know the whole story, and there are, as of
yet, no solid indications that the actual functionality will go away.
We'll just have to wait and see what happens. macOS without AppleScript
/ Automator support will be a hard sell for Apple to those of us who use
them.
Worry no more:

"A 9to5Mac reader (who asked to remain anonymous) emailed Apple software
exec Craig Federighi about the future of automation on the Mac.
Federighi responded with a definitive reply that Apple “has every
intent” to continue supporting automation on macOS."

<https://9to5mac.com/2016/11/18/automation-tech-apple-response/>

JR