My wife got a text msg on her MBP
Robert Peirce
2016-12-15 23:21:43 UTC
No idea where it came from but this has happened before. I never get
messages. Is there something she has turned on that I don't?

The panel looked like something from Siri, but this was a message coming
in, not a request.
David Empson
2016-12-16 01:19:23 UTC
Post by Robert Peirce
No idea where it came from but this has happened before. I never get
messages. Is there something she has turned on that I don't?
If the Mac is running OS X 10.10 or later (Yosemite), and the same
person has an iPhone running iOS 8 or later, and both are signed into
the same Apple ID for iMessage, it is likely that the iPhone is
configured to forward text messages to the computer.

On the iPhone: Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding

Even if that option is turned off, if the Mac is signed in to iMessage
(in the Messages app), then the Mac will receive any iMessage sent to
your wife's Apple ID, and a notification will appear even if the
Messages application is not running (unless you have disabled
notifications for Messages).
Post by Robert Peirce
The panel looked like something from Siri, but this was a message coming
in, not a request.
Just a notification. Lots of things can generate them. Recent ones are
visible in the Notification Center, which you can open with the "three
lines" icon in the top right corner of the menu bar, or on a Mac with a
multitouch trackpad by doing a right-to-left two finger swipe from the
right edge of the trackpad.

Notifications can be configured in System Preferences.
--
David Empson
***@actrix.gen.nz
Robert Peirce
2016-12-16 13:56:59 UTC
Post by Robert Peirce
The panel looked like something from Siri, but this was a message coming
in, not a request.
Just a notification. Lots of things can generate them. Recent ones are
visible in the Notification Center, which you can open with the "three
lines" icon in the top right corner of the menu bar, or on a Mac with a
multitouch trackpad by doing a right-to-left two finger swipe from the
right edge of the trackpad.
Notifications can be configured in System Preferences.
Thanks, David. I'll check all this out. I have an iPhone but my wife
doesn't so there is some setting inconsistency somewhere. With your
help I ought to be able to track everything down.