How do you restore the use of a password to a sparsebundle?
Robert Peirce
2017-09-07 12:59:47 UTC
Google has not been my friend in this.

I have a sparsebundle that is set to open without entering a password.
I am pretty sure I set a password when I created it but I set it to open
without asking. I have no idea why I did that. It was a very long time
ago.

I want to go back to having the sparsebundle ask for a password when I
open it. How do I do that in 10.12.6?
Calum
2017-09-07 17:16:53 UTC
Post by Robert Peirce
Google has not been my friend in this.
I have a sparsebundle that is set to open without entering a password. I
am pretty sure I set a password when I created it but I set it to open
without asking.  I have no idea why I did that.  It was a very long time
ago.
I want to go back to having the sparsebundle ask for a password when I
open it.  How do I do that in 10.12.6?
The password should be stored in the keychain, so you should be able to
find and delete it from the Keychain Access app.
Jolly Roger
2017-09-07 21:41:17 UTC
Post by Calum
Post by Robert Peirce
Google has not been my friend in this.
I have a sparsebundle that is set to open without entering a password. I
am pretty sure I set a password when I created it but I set it to open
without asking.  I have no idea why I did that.  It was a very long time
ago.
I want to go back to having the sparsebundle ask for a password when I
open it.  How do I do that in 10.12.6?
The password should be stored in the keychain, so you should be able to
find and delete it from the Keychain Access app.
Yep, Calum is correct. Open Keychain Access, search for "sparse", and
delete the entry for the disk image.

JR
Robert Peirce
2017-09-07 23:39:44 UTC
On 9/7/17 8:59 AM, Robert Peirce wrote:

I wasn't exactly sure what this instruction would do, but I had another
sparsebundle where the password wasn't saved and it wasn't in the
keychain, so I deleted the password. When I clicked on the bundle it
asked for my password! Thanks. Now I have to change it to a better one.
Jolly Roger
2017-09-07 23:44:50 UTC
Post by Robert Peirce
I wasn't exactly sure what this instruction would do
Deleting the password entry from the key chain essentially causes the
system to forget the password, which means it will prompt you to enter
it the next time the password is required.
Post by Robert Peirce
I had another sparsebundle where the password wasn't saved and it
wasn't in the keychain
If you don't save a password, it's not in the key chain.

JR