wireless router and a repeater
Robert Peirce
2016-12-06 15:15:51 UTC
I can't find this on Google. If you have a router and a repeater and
you are mid-way between them. Do you get signal from one the other or
both? If both, does this mean you are really getting an increase in
signal strength vs just one router?
deKay
2016-12-06 15:30:49 UTC
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Tue, 6 Dec
2016 10:15:51 -0500, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do comp.sys.mac.misc,
Post by Robert Peirce
I can't find this on Google. If you have a router and a repeater and
you are mid-way between them. Do you get signal from one the other or
both? If both, does this mean you are really getting an increase in
signal strength vs just one router?
From one or the other.

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk
Gaming Diary - http://lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary
nospam
2016-12-06 15:49:03 UTC
Post by Robert Peirce
I can't find this on Google. If you have a router and a repeater and
you are mid-way between them. Do you get signal from one the other or
both?
both
Post by Robert Peirce
If both, does this mean you are really getting an increase in
signal strength vs just one router?
it's worse because of interference.

repeaters work if you're extending the network linearly:
main->repeater->you
the signal from the main unit is very weak, so it doesn't interfere
with the stronger one from the repeater.

if you're in the middle and both main & repeater are similar strength,
you're going to be worse off.
Robert Peirce
2016-12-07 00:16:21 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Robert Peirce
If both, does this mean you are really getting an increase in
signal strength vs just one router?
it's worse because of interference.
main->repeater->you
the signal from the main unit is very weak, so it doesn't interfere
with the stronger one from the repeater.
if you're in the middle and both main & repeater are similar strength,
you're going to be worse off.
That raises another issue. Normally I am at one end of the house and
the repeater is at the other end with the wireless router in the middle.
I have two computers in this location. For one the repeater signal
has to go through several walls and the router signal, according to WiFi
Explorer is about 55-60% and the repeater is 25%, so that is probably a
pretty good difference. However, my other computer is pretty much open
air from the repeater. On that one I'm getting about 45% and 30%. Is
that getting close enough for interference?

55-60% is almost weak so I used to put the repeater in the hallway
between the router and the computer. There were times when this helped
and times when it made things worse. I presume the latter resulted from
interference but what was going on with the former? At any rate, I
stopped using it there and have not seen any negative effects.

The router I currently have also does 5G and its signal strength really
degrades going through walls. Is that typical?
nospam
2016-12-07 00:19:37 UTC
Post by Robert Peirce
Post by nospam
Post by Robert Peirce
If both, does this mean you are really getting an increase in
signal strength vs just one router?
it's worse because of interference.
main->repeater->you
the signal from the main unit is very weak, so it doesn't interfere
with the stronger one from the repeater.
if you're in the middle and both main & repeater are similar strength,
you're going to be worse off.
That raises another issue. Normally I am at one end of the house and
the repeater is at the other end with the wireless router in the middle.
that's bad.
Post by Robert Peirce
I have two computers in this location. For one the repeater signal
has to go through several walls and the router signal, according to WiFi
Explorer is about 55-60% and the repeater is 25%, so that is probably a
pretty good difference. However, my other computer is pretty much open
air from the repeater. On that one I'm getting about 45% and 30%. Is
that getting close enough for interference?
55-60% is almost weak so I used to put the repeater in the hallway
between the router and the computer. There were times when this helped
and times when it made things worse. I presume the latter resulted from
interference but what was going on with the former? At any rate, I
stopped using it there and have not seen any negative effects.
The router I currently have also does 5G and its signal strength really
degrades going through walls. Is that typical?
you should look into the new mesh routers. they're not cheap, but they
mostly 'just work'.

although not a complete comparison, start here:
<https://www.macobserver.com/tips/deep-dive/wi-fi-mesh-compared-eero-orb
i-amplifi/>
Chris Ridd
2016-12-07 15:12:05 UTC
Post by nospam
you should look into the new mesh routers. they're not cheap, but they
mostly 'just work'.
<https://www.macobserver.com/tips/deep-dive/wi-fi-mesh-compared-eero-orb
i-amplifi/>
Reviews - albeit quite superficial ones - of the Google Wifi mesh
routers have been appearing since they were released yesterday.
Chris
nospam
<https://www.plumewifi.com>
Chris Ridd
2016-12-07 19:40:07 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Chris Ridd
Post by nospam
you should look into the new mesh routers. they're not cheap, but they
mostly 'just work'.
<https://www.macobserver.com/tips/deep-dive/wi-fi-mesh-compared-eero-orb
i-amplifi/>
Reviews - albeit quite superficial ones - of the Google Wifi mesh
routers have been appearing since they were released yesterday.
<https://www.plumewifi.com>
They were well rated at
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/12/review-comparing-google-wifi-to-other-mesh-networking-heavyweights/

They're not available outside the USA yet.
--
Chris