[highly political] Am I the only one here to think (state) that the removal of mag safe is (extremely) dumb move?
a***@gmail.com
2016-12-14 11:37:49 UTC
the subject asks it all
Calum
2016-12-14 12:09:28 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
the subject asks it all
Generally I've only heard vague disappointment, tempered by the
convenience of being able to plug the charger in either side, and the
relative cheapness and greater availability of new/additional USB-C
power cables when required.
a***@gmail.com
2016-12-14 12:16:32 UTC
Post by Calum
Post by a***@gmail.com
the subject asks it all
Generally I've only heard vague disappointment, tempered by the
convenience of being able to plug the charger in either side, and the
relative cheapness and greater availability of new/additional USB-C
power cables when required.
I use macbook (pro) primarily in bed as a very compact mini theatre,
often tethered to a power supply.
Given that the usb-c in my application is likely to bend, break and otherwise faile
I *had* to ask.
Jolly Roger
2016-12-14 16:03:01 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
the subject asks it all
Meh. Though I certainly appreciate MagSafe, in the grand scheme of
things, it's not a big deal to me. I get the impression most Mac users I
know feel similarly. I'm sure Apple has good reasons for omitting it. If
you really want MagSafe with a new MacBook Pro, third parties are
offering solutions:

<https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable>

JR
Nelson
2016-12-15 10:01:41 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by a***@gmail.com
the subject asks it all
Meh. Though I certainly appreciate MagSafe, in the grand scheme of
things, it's not a big deal to me. I get the impression most Mac users I
know feel similarly. I'm sure Apple has good reasons for omitting it. If
you really want MagSafe with a new MacBook Pro, third parties are
<https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable>
While it doesn't happen often, I occasionally catch my foot in the
power cable. Prior to mag-safe, the computer would hit the floor,
denting it, cracking it, or worse. Now the mag-safe just disconnects.
I would guess it has saved me floor impacts 5-10 times over the life of
this MacBook Pro. Not a lot but once is worth it.

Accidents happen. If Apple ever makes cars it will probably remove the
airbags to make the steering wheels thinner.
Nelson
a***@gmail.com
2017-01-13 09:02:08 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by a***@gmail.com
the subject asks it all
Meh. Though I certainly appreciate MagSafe, in the grand scheme of
things, it's not a big deal to me. I get the impression most Mac users I
know feel similarly. I'm sure Apple has good reasons for omitting it. If
you really want MagSafe with a new MacBook Pro, third parties are
<https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable>
That won't work with a P.O.S. protrusion sticking from the macbook that's prone to
get leveraged bend and break.
Calum
2017-01-13 20:25:38 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by a***@gmail.com
the subject asks it all
Meh. Though I certainly appreciate MagSafe, in the grand scheme of
things, it's not a big deal to me. I get the impression most Mac users I
know feel similarly. I'm sure Apple has good reasons for omitting it. If
you really want MagSafe with a new MacBook Pro, third parties are
<https://griffintechnology.com/us/breaksafe-magnetic-usb-c-power-cable>
That won't work with a P.O.S. protrusion sticking from the macbook that's prone to
get leveraged bend and break.
Better that bends and breaks than the MacBook, though...

Wolffan
2016-12-17 10:34:57 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
the subject asks it all
I don’t think that removing MagSafe is a good idea, either.
David Lesher
2016-12-17 18:51:24 UTC
There is one advantage; you no longer have to buy chargers from
Apple, at Apple prices.
--
A host is a host from coast to ***@nrk.com
nospam
2016-12-17 18:53:54 UTC
a huge advantage.
Mark Storkamp
2016-12-19 18:36:24 UTC
Post by David Lesher
There is one advantage; you no longer have to buy chargers from
Apple, at Apple prices.
Another advantage: My very old Mac Book's battery went bad and the
screen is failing, so I now use it as a desktop with a monitor and
bluetooth mouse and keyboard. I occasionally bump the mag safe
connection and crash it at whatever it is doing. I may have to duct tape
or glue it in place.
a***@gmail.com
2017-01-06 11:17:37 UTC
Post by David Lesher
There is one advantage; you no longer have to buy chargers from
Apple, at Apple prices.
I don't buy apple magsafe 1 charger for a quid,
i've bought a cheap(?) chinese knockoff for $15 which I used for the last 3 or 4 years.

besides, now you have to buy a dock for $150-500
http://www.macrumors.com/2017/01/05/ces-2017-henge-docking-stations-macbook-pro/

to which even the original magsafe chargers nearling the $100 look pale in comparison

i don't print the fucking money