Restoring from Time Machine
Robert Peirce
2017-10-13 21:35:07 UTC
Am new to Time Machine so please bear with me.

As near as I can tell from the help files, restoring an older version of
an item that still exists will over-write the new with the old. Is that
correct? If so, how do you prevent it?

I can see for a file you could make a copy of the current version. You
can also go into the Time Machine archive itself and drag the file to
your desktop, but what if you are trying to restore some old mail you
deleted or something like that? It doesn't appear you can actually read
it without restoring it.

Another thing. There seems to be two buttons but they fall off the
bottom of the screen so I don't know what they do or how to activate
them. I think they may be the buttons that tell the system what to
restore and it does seem you can restore a specific mail item, but I
have no idea which button to push or if I can actually push them the way
they fall!
Robert Peirce
2017-10-13 21:47:23 UTC
Post by Robert Peirce
Am new to Time Machine so please bear with me.
I discovered my mail window was too large. I made it smaller and
entered Time Machine and the buttons were exposed. I then selected an
older mail item and clicked restore. It was restored to a Time Machine
mail folder, which is cool. I then tried it on an existing file in
finder and found I could replace, cancel or keep both. Also cool.

Looks like the most important bases have been covered and now I know
what to do it I can't see the buttons!
Robert Peirce
2017-10-13 22:00:04 UTC
Post by Robert Peirce
Am new to Time Machine so please bear with me.
Crap!! I have an app called Things which is a kind of getting things
done app. I selected the open window for the current Things and entered
Time Machine. It brought up the finder history, not the Things history.
I presume the same thing would happen with any other open app. So,
how do I get into these or does it only work on some (or all) Apple apps?
Jolly Roger
2017-10-13 22:28:59 UTC
Post by Robert Peirce
Post by Robert Peirce
Am new to Time Machine so please bear with me.
Crap!! I have an app called Things which is a kind of getting things
done app. I selected the open window for the current Things and entered
Time Machine. It brought up the finder history, not the Things history.
I presume the same thing would happen with any other open app. So,
how do I get into these or does it only work on some (or all) Apple apps?
It only works in apps that specifically use Apple APIs to add Time Machine
support. Naturally Apple's own apps have that support. For third-party
apps, developers need to use Time Machine APIs to handle the specific data
use by their apps.

Things likely stores it's data somewhere in your home directory which means
its data files are backed up by Time Machine and can be restored using the
Time Machine Finder interface if needed.

JR