Best way to remotely control Imac from another Imac or Ipad
Tom Evans
2017-10-21 04:09:21 UTC
What's the best and essiest way to remotely control an Imac from
another Imac or Ipad?
Andreas Rutishauser
2017-10-21 04:26:56 UTC
Post by Tom Evans
What's the best and essiest way to remotely control an Imac from
another Imac or Ipad?
Remote Desktop
--
MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk
<mailto:***@MacAndreas.ch>, Fon: 044 / 721 36 47
David Empson
2017-10-21 06:51:57 UTC
Post by Tom Evans
What's the best and essiest way to remotely control an Imac from
another Imac or Ipad?
Define "remotely".

For Macs on the same network, or if I can VPN into the network, I use
"Apple Remote Desktop", which is a Mac application (no iPad version
exists) available from App Store for US$80.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apple-remote-desktop/id409907375?mt=12

The target Mac needs to have "Remote Management" enabled in System
Preferences > Sharing, with appropriate permissions.

Apart from screen viewing or control it has features for managing
multiple computers (e.g. in classroom settings), installing software,
etc.

If you just want screen sharing, cheaper options are available,
including a variety of VNC applications for the Mac and iPad. I've used
Remoter Pro on the iPad for remote screen control of a Mac on the same
network.

If you need remote access into the network and don't have a VPN set up,
then for your own computers, the "Back to my Mac" feature of iCloud lets
you access file sharing and screen sharing on your own Macs from
anywhere on the Internet.

The other application I use is TeamViewer, which has Mac and iOS
versions. It is free for personal use, but now has a subscription model
for any kind of commercial use. It works over the Internet without
special arrangements, apart from running the most appropriate variant of
the TeamViewer software on the computer to be controlled, and
configuring it to accept connection requests.
--
David Empson
***@actrix.gen.nz
Jolly Roger
2017-10-21 20:59:57 UTC
Post by David Empson
If you just want screen sharing, cheaper options are available,
including a variety of VNC applications for the Mac and iPad. I've
used Remoter Pro on the iPad for remote screen control of a Mac on the
same network.
Note that macOS lets you view the screen of another Mac with the Screen
Sharing program built into macOS, which lets you connect to any other
Mac on the network that has "Screen Sharing" or "Remote Management"
enabled in System Preferences > Sharing. In Finder windows, you can
select a server in the "Shared" sidebar list and then click the Share
Screen button to view its screen. Alternatively, you can type the
address of the remote Mac in the form: vnc://host.domain into the
Finder's Go > Connect To Server facility to view the screen.

JR