Apple investigating 'exploding' iPhone 7 Plus after video of smoking handset goes viral
Jim_Higgins
2017-02-24 23:21:54 UTC
Perhaps iPhone 8 will achieve low earth orbit.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/apple-investigating-exploding-iphone-7-9910093
The choices we make reveal the true nature of our character
nospam
2017-02-24 23:52:12 UTC
Post by Jim_Higgins
Perhaps iPhone 8 will achieve low earth orbit.
perhaps you'll stop trolling.
Post by Jim_Higgins
Apple investigating 'exploding' iPhone 7 Plus after video of smoking
handset goes viral
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/apple-investigating-exploding-iphone-7-9910093
nothing is perfect. lithium ion batteries potentially can ignite, no
matter who makes them.

the difference is that so far, only one iphone 7 has ignited, out of
over 100 million sold, which is way the hell better than the galaxy
note 7, which was 1 out of about 30,000 catching fire, and that's
assuming the user didn't do anything to cause it, such as using an
off-brand charger that didn't meet safety standards.
Your Name
2017-02-25 00:53:02 UTC
Post by Jim_Higgins
Perhaps iPhone 8 will achieve low earth orbit.
Apple investigating 'exploding' iPhone 7 Plus after video of smoking
handset goes viral
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/apple-investigating-exploding-iphone-7-9910093
Only to be find a massive load of junked, badly made and
rushed-deisgned Samsung phones already there. :-p
Jim_Higgins
2017-02-25 01:55:35 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by Jim_Higgins
Perhaps iPhone 8 will achieve low earth orbit.
Apple investigating 'exploding' iPhone 7 Plus after video of smoking
handset goes viral
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/apple-investigating-exploding-iphone-7-9910093
Only to be find a massive load of junked, badly made and
rushed-deisgned Samsung phones already there. :-p
Good point. It must really tick off iPhone buyers with stuff like this,
flaking finishes, mysterious turn-offs etc. It would bug me too if I
wasn't far too cheap (er fiscally conservative) to buy such an expensive
bit of hardware. Its just me, my flip phone and my iPad Mini 4 128GB. We
three and no more (add an iMac also).
The choices we make reveal the true nature of our character
Your Name
2017-02-25 05:39:56 UTC
Post by Jim_Higgins
Post by Your Name
Post by Jim_Higgins
Perhaps iPhone 8 will achieve low earth orbit.
Apple investigating 'exploding' iPhone 7 Plus after video of smoking
handset goes viral
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/apple-investigating-exploding-iphone-7-9910093
Only to be find a massive load of junked, badly made and
rushed-deisgned Samsung phones already there. :-p
Good point. It must really tick off iPhone buyers with stuff like this,
flaking finishes, mysterious turn-offs etc. It would bug me too if I
wasn't far too cheap (er fiscally conservative) to buy such an expensive
bit of hardware. Its just me, my flip phone and my iPad Mini 4 128GB. We
three and no more (add an iMac also).
Wow! You're a cutting edge techno-nerd! ;-)
I've got no mobile phone at all, no tablet at all, a basically dead G3
PowerMac and a stuffed-battery G4 iBook, a dial-up Internet connection,
and a 23-year-old car. :-)
Jim_Higgins
2017-02-25 12:13:53 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by Jim_Higgins
Post by Your Name
Post by Jim_Higgins
[...]
DIAL UP STILL EXISTS? 400 baud or a screaming 1200 baud?
The choices we make reveal the true nature of our character
Huge
2017-02-25 12:37:04 UTC
On 2017-02-25, Jim_Higgins <***@hotmail.com> wrote:

[25 lines snipped]
Post by Jim_Higgins
DIAL UP STILL EXISTS?
2.3 million AOL users still on it, apparently.

I only converted my Mum to cable internet from dialup last year.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 56th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
If you have a problem with my attitude, that's your problem.
Your Name
2017-02-25 21:24:03 UTC
Post by Jim_Higgins
Post by Your Name
Post by Jim_Higgins
Post by Your Name
Post by Jim_Higgins
[...]
On the G3 PowerMac it was an external Global Village 56K modem. On the
G4 iBook it's the internal 56K modem. Usually gets and average of
around 3000-4000bps
Nelson
2017-02-25 15:49:31 UTC
Post by Jim_Higgins
Perhaps iPhone 8 will achieve low earth orbit.
Apple investigating 'exploding' iPhone 7 Plus after video of smoking
handset goes viral
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/apple-investigating-exploding-iphone-7-9910093
Isn't it curious how all these phones are designed to take widescreen
videos but all you ever see posted on the net are narrow vertical
shots. I wonder what the psychology behind that is.
Nelson
nospam
2017-02-25 15:59:55 UTC
Post by Nelson
Isn't it curious how all these phones are designed to take widescreen
videos but all you ever see posted on the net are narrow vertical
shots. I wonder what the psychology behind that is.
stupidity.

Jolly Roger
2017-02-25 18:11:18 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Nelson
Isn't it curious how all these phones are designed to take widescreen
videos but all you ever see posted on the net are narrow vertical
shots. I wonder what the psychology behind that is.
stupidity.
http://youtu.be/Bt9zSfinwFA
And as if that weren't bad enough, a large subset of those idiots apply
some sort of stupid distracting stretched blur effect to the black areas
on the right and left sides of vertical videos. I'm not sure what
software they are using to do it; but it needs to be eradicated from the
planet ASAP.

JR
nospam
2017-02-25 19:28:17 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by nospam
Post by Nelson
Isn't it curious how all these phones are designed to take widescreen
videos but all you ever see posted on the net are narrow vertical
shots. I wonder what the psychology behind that is.
stupidity.
http://youtu.be/Bt9zSfinwFA
And as if that weren't bad enough, a large subset of those idiots apply
some sort of stupid distracting stretched blur effect to the black areas
on the right and left sides of vertical videos. I'm not sure what
software they are using to do it; but it needs to be eradicated from the
planet ASAP.
that's not done by the original photographer. it's done by those who
replay the video because otherwise it would look stupid, namely the
news media who uses the videos for stories.
Jolly Roger
2017-02-25 21:05:59 UTC
Post by nospam
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by nospam
Post by Nelson
Isn't it curious how all these phones are designed to take widescreen
videos but all you ever see posted on the net are narrow vertical
shots. I wonder what the psychology behind that is.
stupidity.
http://youtu.be/Bt9zSfinwFA
And as if that weren't bad enough, a large subset of those idiots apply
some sort of stupid distracting stretched blur effect to the black areas
on the right and left sides of vertical videos. I'm not sure what
software they are using to do it; but it needs to be eradicated from the
planet ASAP.
that's not done by the original photographer. it's done by those who
replay the video because otherwise it would look stupid
It looks stupid either way, and the blurred side bars only distract from
the actual video content, which is worse IMHO. It's bad enough the video
is vertical; adding a stupid blur effect that continuously moves on each
side just makes things worse.
Post by nospam
namely the news media who uses the videos for stories.
Yeah, I get the impression more than just professionals are doing it.
There are lots of videos showing how to do it on Youtube, for instance:

JR
Your Name
2017-02-25 21:18:33 UTC
Post by Nelson
Post by Jim_Higgins
Perhaps iPhone 8 will achieve low earth orbit.
Apple investigating 'exploding' iPhone 7 Plus after video of smoking
handset goes viral
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/apple-investigating-exploding-iphone-7-9910093
Isn't it curious how all these phones are designed to take widescreen
videos but all you ever see posted on the net are narrow vertical
shots. I wonder what the psychology behind that is.
It's possibly simply easier to hold the phone vertically.

Holding the phone vertically towards the bottom means gravity pulls the
phone into your hand.

Holding the phone horizontally (in one hand so as not to obscure the
camera) means gravity is pulling at the free end, meaning more wobbly
video.
nospam
2017-02-25 21:25:30 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by Nelson
Isn't it curious how all these phones are designed to take widescreen
videos but all you ever see posted on the net are narrow vertical
shots. I wonder what the psychology behind that is.
It's possibly simply easier to hold the phone vertically.
no it isn't.
Post by Your Name
Holding the phone vertically towards the bottom means gravity pulls the
phone into your hand.
Holding the phone horizontally (in one hand so as not to obscure the
camera) means gravity is pulling at the free end, meaning more wobbly
video.
nonsense. you've clearly never used a phone (or camera) to shoot
videos, nor do you understand gravity either.
Huge
2017-02-25 22:02:53 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by Nelson
Post by Jim_Higgins
Perhaps iPhone 8 will achieve low earth orbit.
Apple investigating 'exploding' iPhone 7 Plus after video of smoking
handset goes viral
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/apple-investigating-exploding-iphone-7-9910093
Isn't it curious how all these phones are designed to take widescreen
videos but all you ever see posted on the net are narrow vertical
shots. I wonder what the psychology behind that is.
It's possibly simply easier to hold the phone vertically.
No, they're just morons.