While on the subject of bootcamp
Robert Peirce
2017-03-10 00:45:51 UTC
Every time I run bootcamp it wants to rebuild the install flash drive.
Is there a way around that. All I want to do is change the partition
size. I'm told disk utility can't do that and the only way is to delete
and reinstall. That takes forever if you have to create the install
flash drive.
Robert Peirce
2017-03-10 00:48:13 UTC
Post by Robert Peirce
Every time I run bootcamp it wants to rebuild the install flash drive.
Is there a way around that. All I want to do is change the partition
size. I'm told disk utility can't do that and the only way is to delete
and reinstall. That takes forever if you have to create the install
flash drive.
And it also redownloads the support software each time, which is a
complete waste of time for what I am trying to do.
Jolly Roger
2017-03-10 15:52:18 UTC
Post by Robert Peirce
Every time I run bootcamp it wants to rebuild the install flash drive.
Got a screen shot, or at least the verbatim message?
Post by Robert Peirce
Is there a way around that. All I want to do is change the partition
size.
Why anyone is futzing around partitioning hard drives, in this day and
age, is beyond me. What a huge headache for so little gain! If that
drive dies, so do all of your partitions (some of which won't be backed
up, right?). No thanks. Just get another drive and be done with it, I
say!
Post by Robert Peirce
I'm told disk utility can't do that
Hmm... Disk Utility can indeed partition drives:

<https://blog.macsales.com/38191-rocket-yard-guide-using-macos-sierra-disk-utility-to-partition-erase-drives>

JR
Robert Peirce
2017-03-10 17:20:06 UTC
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Robert Peirce
Every time I run bootcamp it wants to rebuild the install flash drive.
Got a screen shot, or at least the verbatim message?
No. These screens appear in the Boot Camp Assistant program and there
doesn't seem to be a way to by-pass them.

The first screen says it has located the Windows ISO file and is going
to load it onto the flash drive, which will have to be erased first.
Later, the program says it is downloading drivers (and other stuff), I
presume from Apple, and installing that on the flash drive. The thing
is I already did all of that!
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Robert Peirce
Is there a way around that. All I want to do is change the partition
size.
Why anyone is futzing around partitioning hard drives, in this day and
age, is beyond me. What a huge headache for so little gain! If that
drive dies, so do all of your partitions (some of which won't be backed
up, right?). No thanks. Just get another drive and be done with it, I
say!
Bootcamp wants to partition the drive if it is already being used. It
allocates 40Gb for Windows 10. You can increase that but not decrease
it. I presume you could use an add-on drive and tell bootcamp to use
the whole thing.

There is only one partition before installing bootcamp. The partition
that won't be backed up is the bootcamp partition because it is windows
format and none of the mac backup programs I know of can deal with that.
Post by Jolly Roger
Post by Robert Peirce
I'm told disk utility can't do that
<https://blog.macsales.com/38191-rocket-yard-guide-using-macos-sierra-disk-utility-to-partition-erase-drives>
Disk Utility can change partition sizes on a Mac HD, although I'm not
sure why you would need to do that, but (I am told) it can't deal with
partitions formatted for windows. However, I could be wrong about that.
David Empson
2017-03-10 21:18:49 UTC
Post by Robert Peirce
Every time I run bootcamp it wants to rebuild the install flash drive.
Is there a way around that. All I want to do is change the partition
size. I'm told disk utility can't do that and the only way is to delete
and reinstall. That takes forever if you have to create the install
flash drive.
The first question which occurs to me is how often you are needing to
change your Boot Camp partition size. Surely you should pick a size that
fits your anticipated needs so you never need to change it again.

I've never used Boot Camp but I'm aware of a product from Paragon
Software called "Camptune X" which claims to be able to resize Boot Camp
partitions.

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/camptune/
--
David Empson
***@actrix.gen.nz
Robert Peirce
2017-03-11 12:52:59 UTC
Post by David Empson
The first question which occurs to me is how often you are needing to
change your Boot Camp partition size. Surely you should pick a size that
fits your anticipated needs so you never need to change it again.
Well, I already ran into the problem but rather than resize bootcamp I
decided to abandon it for now. I have a 256Gb SSD and bootcamp needs at
least 50Gb, the default is 40Gb, to run Assetto Corsa. I may actually
need more than that. I can't spare the extra space. I need to get a
bigger drive or buy a PC just for gaming.
Robert Peirce
2017-03-13 16:22:00 UTC
Post by Robert Peirce
Every time I run bootcamp it wants to rebuild the install flash drive.
Is there a way around that. All I want to do is change the partition
size. I'm told disk utility can't do that and the only way is to delete
and reinstall. That takes forever if you have to create the install
flash drive.
It turns out you CAN use the install drive but you have to be really
careful or you will screw thing up to the point where you have to
rebuild your system. I did and it took almost six hours even with a
50Mb/s download speed,

First thing is ONLY use Boot Camp Assistant to delete your old Windows
partition. It turns out there is a small Windows boot partition that
Disk Utility can't remove and I could find no other way to remove it.
Once the Windows partition is removed, Boot Camp Assistant can't do
anything. Use Boot Camp Assistant. it seems to do the job without fail
and without problems.

Use Disk Utility to create the new BOOTCAMP partition using the FAT
structure. However, it turns out Disk Utility creates what is called a
hybrid map combining MBR and GUID. Windows cannot boot into that. The
solution is a program available from Sourceforge called gdisk [must be
run as root]. It is called GPT fdisk on Sourceforge. The 'n' option in
expert mode ('x') cleans this up.

More bad news. Since 10.11, gdisk cannot be run because of something
called System Integrity Protection. You have to boot up in restore mode
(Cmd-R option) and run "csrutil disable." When everything is finished
you have to do this again and run "csrutil enable." It is possible you
can run gdisk from the recovery system directly but I haven't tried it.
If I do I will let you know what happened. It is also possible you can
just leave System Integrity Protection turned off. I will leave it to
an expert to comment on whether that is advisable or not.

Once all this is done you can insert the flash drive and boot holding
down the Option key. You will then find a windows boot device that you
can select. After that it is exactly the same as had you used Boot Camp
Assistant.

This appears to take a lot of time but it is faster than rebuilding the
flash dive each time. Actually, by leaving SIR disabled until you are
sure you are finished, it is even faster.
Robert Peirce
2017-03-13 22:21:13 UTC
On 3/13/17 12:22 PM, Robert Peirce wrote:
I spent the whole day fooling around with this and the bottom line is
use Boot Camp Assistant for everything. There are three options on the
second screen. Just select the third. It will either delete an
existing Windows partition or create a new one. It seems to take care
of everything and to do it properly. You don't need to rebuild your
flash drive to do it and this saves a ton of time.

In he event an install or disinstall gets screwed up for some reason,
don't attempt to try to by-pass Boot Camp Assistant. Instead, get your
drive into a pristine conditions and start over.

Just so you know, I had to use diskutil to rejoin the Windows system and
its boot partition into one that I could then merge back into Macintosh
HD. I wish I had figured that out yesterday because Disk Utility
wouldn't let me touch the Windows Boot Partition and I ended up
re-installing the whole system from scratch. I then had to mount the
EFI drive and clean it out. Then I could use BCA to do a correct
install, which went off without a hitch.