Will Unix shell scripts work with APFS?
Robert Peirce
2017-10-09 18:24:51 UTC
I have no idea what APFS is but I have been using Unix shell scripts
since before I bought a NeXT computer many years ago. I still use them,
primarily KSH and AWK scripts, to process ASCII files. Since my current
computer has an SSD drive, and apparently, there is no option but to use
APFS with an SSD, I need to know if my Unix stuff will continue to work.

As far as I know, OS X is still built on a Unix base so I shouldn't have
a problem but I still need to know.
nospam
it will
Robert Peirce
Thanks. That is a great relief.
Huge
2017-10-09 18:50:54 UTC
Post by Robert Peirce
I have no idea what APFS is but I have been using Unix shell scripts
since before I bought a NeXT computer many years ago. I still use them,
primarily KSH and AWK scripts, to process ASCII files. Since my current
computer has an SSD drive, and apparently, there is no option but to use
APFS with an SSD, I need to know if my Unix stuff will continue to work.
Yes, it will.

In fact, IIRC, it should work better, since APFS is case sensitive, as
Ghod intended.
--
Today is Boomtime, the 63rd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
David Empson
2017-10-09 19:24:26 UTC
Post by Huge
Post by Robert Peirce
I have no idea what APFS is but I have been using Unix shell scripts
since before I bought a NeXT computer many years ago. I still use them,
primarily KSH and AWK scripts, to process ASCII files. Since my current
computer has an SSD drive, and apparently, there is no option but to use
APFS with an SSD, I need to know if my Unix stuff will continue to work.
Yes, it will.
In fact, IIRC, it should work better, since APFS is case sensitive, as
Ghod intended.
That hasn't changed.

As with HFS+, APFS has variants which are case-sensitve and
case-insenstive.

iOS devices use the case sensitive APFS variant (always), same as
versions/devices which are still using HFS+.

Macs default to using the case insenstive APFS variant, but you can
choose to create/erase a volume using case sensitive APFS. (As usual,
Adobe software users should avoid case sensitive file systems because
Adobe still can't get it right.)

One nice feature of APFS is that an APFS container can contain multiple
volumes which share free space, which means if you need a case sensitive
file system for a small number of things, it is easy to create a case
sensitive volume just for that purpse, while leaving the main volume
case insensitive, and not worry about the pain of resizing partitions if
you guess space requirements wrong.
--
David Empson
***@actrix.gen.nz
nospam
2017-10-09 19:31:16 UTC
Post by David Empson
Macs default to using the case insenstive APFS variant, but you can
choose to create/erase a volume using case sensitive APFS. (As usual,
Adobe software users should avoid case sensitive file systems because
Adobe still can't get it right.)
adobe doesn't need to 'get it right'.

case insensitive is the correct choice for just about everyone, so it's
simply not worth the effort to support case sensitive volumes for a
tiny, tiny number of users, nearly all of whom don't use anything adobe
makes anyway.
Huge
2017-10-09 21:14:41 UTC
Post by David Empson
Post by Huge
Post by Robert Peirce
I have no idea what APFS is but I have been using Unix shell scripts
since before I bought a NeXT computer many years ago. I still use them,
primarily KSH and AWK scripts, to process ASCII files. Since my current
computer has an SSD drive, and apparently, there is no option but to use
APFS with an SSD, I need to know if my Unix stuff will continue to work.
Yes, it will.
In fact, IIRC, it should work better, since APFS is case sensitive, as
Ghod intended.
That hasn't changed.
As with HFS+, APFS has variants which are case-sensitve and
case-insenstive.
Ah, OK, thanks.
Post by David Empson
iOS devices use the case sensitive APFS variant (always), same as
versions/devices which are still using HFS+.
Macs default to using the case insenstive APFS variant,
:o(
--
Today is Boomtime, the 63rd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
Tim Streater
2017-10-09 21:35:47 UTC
Post by Huge
Post by David Empson
Post by David Empson
iOS devices use the case sensitive APFS variant (always), same as
versions/devices which are still using HFS+.
Macs default to using the case insenstive APFS variant,
:o(
Well you may think that but I disagree. The average person would
consider using case to distinguish between filenames as the mark of a
loony.
nospam
2017-10-09 21:45:20 UTC
Post by Tim Streater
Post by David Empson
iOS devices use the case sensitive APFS variant (always), same as
versions/devices which are still using HFS+.
Macs default to using the case insenstive APFS variant,
:o(
Well you may think that but I disagree. The average person would
consider using case to distinguish between filenames as the mark of a
loony.
and that person would be right.

nospam
2017-10-09 19:27:12 UTC
Post by Huge
Post by Robert Peirce
I have no idea what APFS is but I have been using Unix shell scripts
since before I bought a NeXT computer many years ago. I still use them,
primarily KSH and AWK scripts, to process ASCII files. Since my current
computer has an SSD drive, and apparently, there is no option but to use
APFS with an SSD, I need to know if my Unix stuff will continue to work.
Yes, it will.
In fact, IIRC, it should work better, since APFS is case sensitive,
nope. apfs works exactly the same as hfs+ does, case *insensitive* on
mac os by default, with an option to be case sensitive, and preserves
case in both variants.

furthermore, anything app or command line utility that relies on case
sensitivity or any other attribute of the file system is fundamentally
broken.
Post by Huge
as
Ghod intended.