10.5.8
123
2016-04-25 23:02:02 UTC
Had to reinstall the system on a g5. Now having problems with quicktime and
itunes. Itunes won't recognize the ipod nano 5 so I need a more recent
version of itunes which needs a higher version of quicktime but anything
higher than 7.2 crashes immediately. Any experience with this or any ideas? I
have a bunch of components in the user library in the quicktime folder
including the perrian component. Maybe an issue there?
David Empson
2016-04-26 00:40:16 UTC
Post by 123
Had to reinstall the system on a g5. Now having problems with quicktime and
itunes. Itunes won't recognize the ipod nano 5 so I need a more recent
version of itunes which needs a higher version of quicktime but anything
higher than 7.2 crashes immediately. Any experience with this or any ideas?
An iPad Nano (5th generation) requires iTunes 9 or later.

The last version of iTunes which ran on Mac OS X 10.5.8 was iTunes
10.6.3.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1575

The last version of QuickTime which ran on Mac OS X 10.5.8 is QuickTime
7.7.0 for Leopard.

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl761

I happened to have a 10.5 Server VM handy with iTunes 10.6.3 and
QuickTime 7.2.1 installed. On launch, iTunes complained about needing
QuickTime 7.5.5 or later.

I installed QuickTime 7.7, and iTunes 10.6.3 now runs, as does QuickTime
Player.

This is on a (virtual) Intel processor, but I'm not aware of any reason
they wouldn't work on a PowerPC processor.
Post by 123
I have a bunch of components in the user library in the quicktime folder
including the perrian component. Maybe an issue there?
Potentially. If you have a QuickTime component installed which is not
compatible with the version of QuickTime you have installed, it might
cause problems when QuickTime tries to load the component.

My Leopard test system's /Library/QuickTime folder is empty. As an easy
test, you could move everything out of /Library/QuickTime and see if
that allows QuickTime Player and iTunes to launch.
--
David Empson
***@actrix.gen.nz
123
2016-04-26 22:34:32 UTC
Post by 123
I have a bunch of components in the user library in the quicktime folder
including the perrian component. Maybe an issue there?
Potentially. If you have a QuickTime component installed which is not
compatible with the version of QuickTime you have installed, it might
cause problems when QuickTime tries to load the component.
My Leopard test system's /Library/QuickTime folder is empty. As an easy
test, you could move everything out of /Library/QuickTime and see if
that allows QuickTime Player and iTunes to launch.
Thank-you very much for your assistance. Both apps now work and though i
haven't tried yet, i assume the nano will work as well. Kind regards, Dan
123
2016-04-26 23:22:26 UTC
Post by 123
Post by 123
I have a bunch of components in the user library in the quicktime folder
including the perrian component. Maybe an issue there?
Potentially. If you have a QuickTime component installed which is not
compatible with the version of QuickTime you have installed, it might
cause problems when QuickTime tries to load the component.
My Leopard test system's /Library/QuickTime folder is empty. As an easy
test, you could move everything out of /Library/QuickTime and see if
that allows QuickTime Player and iTunes to launch.
Thank-you very much for your assistance. Both apps now work and though i
haven't tried yet, i assume the nano will work as well. Kind regards, Dan
Yes, The nano works fine. Thanks again.