[News] Walmart plans to deploy 100,000 Macs to save on employee PC costs
Your Name
2017-10-26 00:35:38 UTC
From AppleInsider.com ...

Walmart plans to deploy 100,000 Macs to save on employee PC costs
As the world's largest retailer, Walmart is known for its "Everyday
Low Prices" slogan. It's now in the planning stages of rolling out
an employee Mac choice' program in an effort to save costs long
term while enhancing the productivity of its employees using
premium Apple hardware.

Walmart outlined its Mac choice program at this week's Jamf Nation
User Conference, the largest Apple-focused IT event in the world,
now being held near Jamf's headquarters in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

JNUC has previously gained attention for its previous years'
presentations by IBM, where the global tech services firm detailed
its own employee Mac choice program after finding significant cost
savings associated with employee migrations from Windows PCs to
Macs.

IBM noted that PC users drive twice the number of support calls
compared to Mac users, and that PC support tickets require desk side
support by IT personnel five times as often. The company's own
analysis showed that each Mac deployed saves the company $270 in
support costs compared to a Windows PC.

Walmart is a very different type of company, but has already found
a significant drop in support costs among its current installed base
of 7,000 Mac users, managed using Jamf Pro software and Apple's
Device Enrollment Program.

Walmart's Technical Expert Miles Leacy reported that across a
similar set of users, Windows PCs generate about 60 percent of all
support issues compared to 40 percent related to Macs.

Walmart plans to roll out an expanded Mac choice program like IBM's,
and expects to deploy as many as 100,000 Macs across the next year.
Leacy noted that Macs could become the default choice for new
employees, given Total Cost of Ownership savings.

While Apple's premium Mac hardware typically costs more upfront
than comparable Windows PCs, lower support costs, less expensive
licensing fees, higher user satisfaction and higher residual value
for reselling used equipment at the end of its scheduled use
contribute toward what Leacy called "Everyday Low Cost" for Walmart.

Beyond its plans to dramatically expand the use of Macs internally,
Walmart has long acted as a retail partner with Apple in selling
iPods, iPhones and iPads. And while the two companies have also
engaged in competition - including the retailer's effort to launch
Walmart Pay and its acquisition of Vudu video streaming as a
competitor to iTunes Movies - the two firms have increasingly
collaborated.

Walmart executives noted last year that the company's QR Code payment
app could add support for Apple Pay, and this year the company
announced support for Vudu as an app for Apple TV.

Walmart expects to officially announce its employee Mac choice
program in the coming months. A series of other larger corporate
users have also addressed expanding employee choice programs like
IBM's at JNUC, in addition to large consulting firms (including IBM
and Deloitte) directly supporting the development of iOS apps for
their clients.

<http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/10/25/walmart-plans-to-deploy-100000-macs-to-save-on-employee-pc-costs>
martin
2017-10-26 20:17:02 UTC
Post by Your Name
From AppleInsider.com ...
Walmart plans to deploy 100,000 Macs to save on employee PC costs
As the world's largest retailer, Walmart is known for its "Everyday
Low Prices" slogan. It's now in the planning stages of rolling out
an employee Mac choice' program in an effort to save costs long
term while enhancing the productivity of its employees using
premium Apple hardware.
rest snipped........

speaking as one who has been supporting windows users since
windows 95 I would say about 90% of my support work was
windows based and the other 10% was mac based, but that was
largely social.
More recently I have been guiding windows users to linux in
its various shapes and forms when people were unwilling to
spend the money on macs......
Good for them...
Martin
nospam
2017-10-26 20:44:16 UTC
Post by martin
speaking as one who has been supporting windows users since
windows 95 I would say about 90% of my support work was
windows based and the other 10% was mac based, but that was
largely social.
that's mainly because windows *needs* support, not for any social
reasons.
Post by martin
More recently I have been guiding windows users to linux in
its various shapes and forms when people were unwilling to
spend the money on macs......
that's incredibly bad advice, given that there's *far* less software
and support available for linux than for windows or mac, both of which
cost about the same for similar specs.
martin
2017-10-27 09:37:19 UTC
Post by martin
More recently I have been guiding windows users to linux in
its various shapes and forms when people were unwilling to
spend the money on macs......
that's incredibly bad advice, given that there's *far* less software
and support available for linux than for windows or mac, both of which
cost about the same for similar specs.
well for lots of peoples requirements, a bit of browsing, webmail
or maybe even thunderbird and an good free office suite linux,
particularly linux mint serves lots of peoples needs, it comes
with firefox, thunderbird, vlc, you run skype on it without any
hassle, and you donr get the hassle of windows update and all
cpu intensive av software etc, there is actually plenty of
support online, plus they can call me, obviously if you want to
do something different to all that, get a mac or put up with
all the shite that comes with windows, actually most of the people
I have migrated are over 70 and some are over 80 and they are all
deighted......
Martin
Huge
2017-10-27 09:53:46 UTC
On 2017-10-26, nospam <***@nospam.invalid> wrote:

[16 lines snipped]
Post by nospam
that's incredibly bad advice, given that there's *far* less software
and support available for linux than for windows or mac, both of which
cost about the same for similar specs.
So much wrongness in one short sentence from someone lacking the balls
to give themselves a name.

[Makes private bet as to what the response will be.]
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 8th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183
nospam
2017-10-27 13:10:43 UTC
Post by Huge
Post by nospam
that's incredibly bad advice, given that there's *far* less software
and support available for linux than for windows or mac, both of which
cost about the same for similar specs.
So much wrongness in one short sentence from someone lacking the balls
to give themselves a name.
if there's so much wrong, then it should be easy for you to point it
out with credible references to back it up, and without resorting to ad
hominem attacks (amusing, since 'huge' is not a name), which you're
only doing because it's exactly true and you *can't* refute it.